Vascular Access is the gateway to all healthcare delivery. It must be executed proficiently and with an emphasis on safety, otherwise the patient’s health and treatment are both in jeopardy. The Association for Vascular Access (AVA) is committed to formalizing and advancing clinical education and best practice throughout the healthcare continuum, from embedding courses and resources in nursing and medical school curricula to ensuring hospitals and care providers have access to the latest and most accurate vascular access guidance.
It is this commitment to clinical education that has produced AVA’s endorsement of Vessel Health and Preservation: The Right Approach for Vascular Access, an Open Access, comprehensive guide, authored by a global consortium of highly-regarded vascular access specialists and scientists. This online textbook covers every facet of the procedure:
• Preventing venous depletion
• Vessel and device assessment and selection
• Specialization and training culture
• Insertion, care, maintenance and management
• Infection prevention and understanding epidemiological risks
• Guidance for both Adult and Pediatric patient populations
• Continuous improvement and advancement of Vascular Access proficiency
The enhanced e-textbook appeals to bedside nurses, physicians and any healthcare professional that places vascular access devices. It provides a model for each step of the patient experience and offers a guide for clinicians to improve and lessen the risk for patients.